Tiger GT's

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tiger GT's
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:20:47 +0000
I thought everyone knew about GT and Tourer model Tigers, but...

When Rootes was first contemplating Tiger assembly, they already were offering
GT and Tourer versions of the Alpine III and IV.  GT's got the exposed wood
dash,
a little more carpeting on the floor, a more fully upholstered area behind the
seats, and yes, no soft top, but a standard hardtop. I think I was told they
had a
quieter exhaust manifold, and less power.

If you look at the very early Tiger brochures, Rootes planned to offer both
models
in Tiger format, too, albeit with the same Ford exhaust manifold used for both
models.

If you're lucky, you will find a few of these Tiger GT's at a United or SUNI.
the
cockpit is the main indicator. The area behind the seats is finished off in a
comparible look to a "'64 T-Bird or M-B SL.

What most of us have in our cars is the result of Rootes later decision to
offer
just one model with a  higher trim level than Tourer, like standard wood dash
and
steering wheel, full carpeting, but making the hardtop an option.

Rande Bellman