Caster

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Caster
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:54:28 -0400
At 12:16 PM 8/30/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Anita Barrett wrote:
>>  At least one can determine if both sides are about equal caster
>> angles by turning the tires a fixed angle on both sides.  I fixed my
>> pull to the right by moving a 3/32" shim from back to front on the left side
>> still have no idea what the caster is set to, but it seems to now be equal.
>
>Now its only 82 here today, so I can think a little. Doesn't the fact
>that the steering does NOT follow the Ackerman principle negate that
>statement? I believe that when you crank the Tiger steering, both tires
>are not turning the same angle. This is what causes the tire scrub. Did
>I get this wrong?
>
>Steve
        First turn a fixed angle to the right and measure camber on right tire
Then turn the same angle to the left and measure the camber on the left tire.
Measure the fixed angle at the wheel you are going to measure the camber.
In this way ackerman has nothing to do with it.
        If you only make one turn and measure both sides you will be
messed up due to the ackerman or anti-ackerman effects.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others