Re: Re[2]: Hot Tigers

To: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Hot Tigers
From: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 15:04:39 PDT
Jeff,

The things you offer certainly are worthy of some consideration.  My
previous hyperbole was just to stir things up a little with regard to
thermostats vis-a-vis the overall problem.  Obviously I don't think using a
160 versus a 195 thermostat would buy you anything in the hot day in L.A.
scenario I described.  In that case you would be quite happy to have the
engine maintain anything like 215F.  And by the way, what's your theory as
to how the opening of the thermostat relates to cooling capacity?  I guess
according to the less flow is better school, the thermostat ought to start
in the open position and close as it gets hotter.  Even if we subscribe to
the more is better school, we still don't know how much it helps to be more
open.  The implication from the way you present it is that thermostat has to
be fully open to be fully effective.  I doubt this is really the case.  I'll
bet that within 5 degrees or so it goes from closed to full on.  Just seems
to work this way in my case because the water temperature seems to track the
air temperature so close once it gets just a little over the nominal
thermostat temp.

I know that for most people the choice of thermostat is probably driven more
by emotion than reality and I don't really expect you or anyone else to go
pull their 160 units and put in a 195 just because I said to.  What I really
hope for is to redirect some of this thinking and effort into more useful
channels.  There are a lot of Tiger owners out there with very cool running
cars.  Pecentage wise, I think it's a lot better than 15-20 years ago when
it seemed that virtually every Tiger, including mine, had some degree of
cooling problem.  I think the path to a cool running Tiger is now pretty
well worn.  It starts with how you build your engine (not too tight), and
includes a good radiator, shroud, fan, and water pump.  Cullen Bennett is
one of those that has been able to push his Tiger's cooling capacity to the
extreme.  He has to be given a lot of credit for being able to not only keep
his engine cool in the Arizona sun, but do it while running an air conditioner.

So all right Jeff, you have my permission and even blessing to leave in your
160 degree thermostat, at least till September 22 (the end of summer).  You
might even consider applying the $5 dollars for a new thermostat towards the
purchase of a more significant piece of hardware; like a better fan, full
shroud, etc.

Bob