Re: engine/trans compatability ?

To: Carmods@aol.com
Subject: Re: engine/trans compatability ?
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:59:19 +0100
Carmods@aol.com wrote:

> Kurt;
> Installing a T-5 5 speed from a Mustang requires some body modification and a
> Mustang diaphram clutch with it's compatible flywheel housing.  With the
> transmission's lower first gear ratio and overdrive it makes a vast
> improvment in the drivability of the Tiger. If you become interested in the
> conversion let me know.
>   J logan

Knowing the pile of T-5's in the local shop, there are 2 things to
watch:
1) If you insist on a T-5, get the later "World Class", it's stronger,
and costs now more.
2) If you're going to modify the car that much, anyway, I would
seriously consider the TREMEC 5 spd od instead. It is made by the same
people (but now in Mexico) as the original Ford Top Loader. It is far
stronger than the T-5, and Tremec has just bought the rights for the T-5
itself and makes them too. Cost about $1000 for the Tremec. Race
versions with 0.8 fifth (instead of the reidiculus 0.63) are available -
for a price.

Went through this circle before when I was thinking of putting a 5 spd
into my '66 Mustang. Decided to sell it and get a Tiger instead.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >