Re: engine/trans compatability ?

To: kjenssen@juno.com
Subject: Re: engine/trans compatability ?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 8:00:46 PST

> I have a 65 Tiger MK I . I have a rebuilt high performance 1987 302 I
> will be dropping in place of the tired original 260  ( had a five bolt
> bellhousing ). The engine will be carburated.  I am trying to find
> information on the posible "set-ups" to use regarding bellhousings. The
> 302 block is a 6 bolt. I have the original toploader transmission , HEH-E
> with what I am to understand is the narrow 4 bolt pattern on the case . I
> am not certain of what will be required to mate the 302 to the original
> toploader. Any detailed suggestions will be appreciated as always.
>
> I have considered installing a 5 speed or automatic. Suggestions on this
> route would also be much appreciated.
>
>          Kirt Jenssen
>          B9473199

If it were me, I'd go with a later gear box.  Simple and the benefit of
the extra gear.

More years ago than I care to admit to, I installed a "temporary" stock
6-bolt in my Cobra.  The original Cobra motor is a 5-bolt 289.  What I
did was drill holes in the 6-bolt bell housing so I could mate to the
Cobra's Borg Warner T-10.  I made my own bellhousing adaptor for the
clutch slave.  I used 1/4" plate stock for the adaptor, which prove not
to be strong enough because the force of declutching bent it.  A few
years ago I straightened it out and added a brace.  So far it's been
okay, but I strongly recommend using something heavier if you plan to
make your own.

A couple of other possibilities:

Slave clutch adaptors for 6-bolt motors are available from some outfits
that cater to the hotrod crowd, though I've been told they are made of
1/4" plate stock and are prone to bending too.

A small number of of Cobras sold in the UK had 6-bolt 289s and
toploaders.  I suspect the clutch slave bracket was made of cast iron
just like the ones found on 5-bolt 289 Cobras.  It might be possible to
order a bracket from AC Cars.  If they have them, I'm guessing they are
expensive.

      AC Cars Group Factory
      Vickers Drive N.
      Brooklands Industrial Park