RE: Another Controversy

To: "'johnson@ids.net'" <johnson@ids.net>
Subject: RE: Another Controversy
From: "JAN SVEN-ERIK HARDE, LUTCF" <harde@cyberesc.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:41:55 -0700

----------
From:  Alvin and Lucille Johnson[SMTP:johnson@ids.net]
Sent:  Friday, December 05, 1997 5:59 AM
To:  Steve Laifman
Cc:  nicholsj@oakwood.org; rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu; tigers@autox.team.net; =
Jay Laifman

Al & all,

The very interesting thing about the early P1800, and I have owned many, =
and restored several, is that the construction is virtually identical to =
the Tiger, for obvious reasons, as they came off the same line.
Having both cars up on a rack next to each other, you practically had to =
look twice to see which was which car..
I don't know if removing the duties from the Jenses factory, was for =
shabby work reasons, as much as for Sweedish pride, as the early cars =
are built much better, take it from one who has worked on these cars for =
years...And besides I am born and raised in Sweden, ( don't hold that =
against me ''')
The also notable part is that many parts from the 1800 interchange to =
the Tiger, again for obvious reasons, very interesting that upon till =
just a while back, the identical Volvo parts, where 1/3rd the price of =
the same # parts from Tiger suppliers ???? VERY INTERESTING !!!
A friend of mine converted an 1800, (early car of course, as they where =
stronger)  to a 289 with a C6 automatic, sure looked like a Tiger under =
the hood... The car since sold to Finland.

See Ya'                         Jan......

e sidebar to Jeff's comments. The Jensen assembly of the P-1800 Volvo
had to be brought back to Sweden because of shabby work. The early
Brit-built Jensen P-1800s have mostly rusted away while many Goteborg
models still soldier on.
Al J. (Swede to the Core) De-rusted Sunbeam, No-rust Volvo.