Re: Painted ID plates

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Painted ID plates
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:30:58 -0500
At 10:53 AM 1/22/98 +0000, Steve Laifman wrote:
>The "Feds" may not care, I don't know, but the State of California does,
>wherever the car originated. Don't know about other states, but willing to
>wager they care as well.

Again, by definition, cars produced before 1st January 1967 do NOT have
'VIN' tags.  They have ID tags, a different item altogether.

In any event, Virginia doesn't care what you do with the ID tag or VIN tag
in the course of repair, nor do the Feds.

Finally, I lived in California from the spring of '67 until the summer of
'68, and none of this foolishness was in effect there at the time.  If the
State of California has imposed higher standards on old cars, then this
constitutes an impermissible taking from those people who owned the cars
then.  That is, IF you owned your car in 1967, you are grandfathered as to
the rules and regulations in effect as of that date.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!