Re: Re: Painted ID plates

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: Painted ID plates
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:54:11 EST

<<The "Feds" may not care, I don't know, but the State of California does,
wherever the car originated. Don't know about other states, but willing to
wager they care as well. The California smog reg changes, recently, exempted
cars before '66, before they were just expanded, but that did not address VIN
laws.>>

Hey Marc, Hey Steve, Hey Gang.

You can also include "whenever the car originated" here.  I will never forget
the trauma of getting my 1933 Graham re-registered after the tags (which only
riveted on) were removed for restoration.  The CA inspectors did not care
"why" they were removed, just that they had been removed.  Of course I still
had the tags but they could not be reapplied, best deal they would cut me was
the application of a CA ID tag with basically the same ID numbers.  Of course,
the CA VIN tags were bright blue, but what the HEY!  It eventually let me sell
the car.

So far as I am aware EVERY state makes it a criminal offense to remove the
tags and the cars can be confiscated.  Then you can go to court to prove
how/why they were removed and ask to get the car back WITH A NEW VIN.

Nice way to spend a few years of your life, particularly you youngsters...
which lets Steve the LaifMan out.  Me too.

--Colin Cobb