Re: Tiger ID manual

To: RPalmerBob@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tiger ID manual
From: MWood24020 <MWood24020@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:49:11 EST
Just a couple of quick comments to throw out regarding Tiger identification
and, hopefully, at least I will be done with the subject...

First, STOA's efforts to expand the program outside of the San Francisco Bay
Area, in my opinion, are right on target. It was also nice to read the
comments of both the folks at Tiger Technologies and Paul Reisentz, which seem
to approach a pragmatic middle ground on this issue.

Second, looking at the bigger picture, I think we all should keep in mind the
Shelby GT 350 and the Shelby American Auto Club. Why? Well, as we all know, a
number of GT 350 clones have been built over the years. The Shelby club
undertook an authentication program, for all Shelby-Ford autos (which I
believe was very closely reviewed by STOA prior to launching TAC) a number of
years ago because some of these clones were being sold as the real deal (sound
familiar?). There were a number of long term, positive benefits of this
undertaking:

1. Those who considered building knock-offs had second thoughts. If their
intentions were pure and they just wanted a bitchin' Mustang, they went ahead.
These cars are re-sold as "clones" and no one has a problem with it.
2. The prices of all Shelby GTs benefitted. No longer was there the chance
that the number of "Shelbys" would one day exceed production!
3. The Shelby registry, updated with accurate information, became THE GUIDE
for potential Shelby buyers concerned with being screwed.

Problems also arose, not the least of which concerned owners of cars with
dubious heritage having a problem with the major devaluation their ponies
suffered.
Net/net, however, the benefits have far outweighed the negatives.

We, as Tiger owners, have the opportunity to see the same benefits if, as a
group, we can accept the TAC program as a standard and expand TAC's reach
regionally, nationally and internationally. TAC is not an STOA clique, but an
honest, intelligent effort to address an issue which effects all Tiger owners
and potential Tiger owners.