Lettering

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lettering
From: Steve Lemp <steve@ramus.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 08:58:32 -0800
At 12:19 AM 03/09/98 -0800, you wrote:
>.......  I can't imagine NOT being able to determin where the
>original holes were.  This is not to say that these original holes will work
>for the new emblems (letters), but you should at least be able to see where
>they used to be.
>
>Rich

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my request concerning the location
of the SUNBEAM lettering. I've had a couple of people contact me who have
indicated that they would be nice enough to make up a template for me. I
really appreciate the help! The point made regarding the possible difference
in pin location is well taken. I plan to make a semi-rigid template from the
paper 'rubbing' and fit the letters to it before I even consider touching
the car. Regarding the comment about locating the holes from underneath...
that was actually my first approach, thinking that I could drill from the
underside. The only way I found to even see the area where the pins would
protrude was to use a mechanics mirror looking up through the grill opening.
I quickly found that the sheetmetal in this area is a double-walled. The
accessible sheetmetal on the underside of the nose has some fairly large
holes that could represent the location of the pins (the key word being
could) and the holes are about three times the diameter of the letter pins
which wouldn't provide a very reliable pilot for a drill. The magnet and
'magnaflux' idea is intriguing, but with the double walled sheetmetal, I'm
not sure how I could get a more reliable location of the hole placement than
the template. If anyone has success using another method I'd love to hear
about it.

Thanks again,
Steve
B9470250