Re: Tiger Torque

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tiger Torque
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:44:39 -0500 (CDT)
Al J. wrote:
> My mild 289
>Tiger was virtually unbeatable with a 331 rear, but it became
>undriveable at cruising speeds . . <snip> . . but the resulting RPMs
>at 65mph are unworkable. . .

My sentiments exactly.  I'm also running 3.31's with the original top
loader in my MKI, and to keep the rev's reasonable, I'm confined to the
slow lane at 50 - 55 mph.  Sorta' dangerous on the interstate freeways,
and a burdon to your compadres when running in a Tiger caravan.  The
strength of the top loader, just like Ford's 9-inch rear, is legendary.
 Unless in competition, neither is really necessary behind the small
block Ford.  But that's just my opinion.

As to the reliability of the T5, I know of several applications of
these units in late model Mustangs lasting well into 100k miles with no
problems and still going strong.  Sure, they're not being slammed
weekly at the quarter mile strips, but by no means are they babied
during their lives.  Those 5 liter roller engines are generating as
much power, or more, than most 260-289's.  In serious competition and
other abusive use, their weaknesses show up.  At least that's what I
frequently read over on the Fordnatics list.

I'd make the swap in a heartbeat if I had knowledge about which bell
housing, clutch, pilot bearing, spacers, crossmember, etc, etc, to use.
 I'd prefer to use the paid services of someone who has been there,
done that.  Maybe if there was a kit, or detailed instructions that
also list part numbers and sources, I'd give it a shot.

Is there anyone willing to help?

Don Daves   <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Rio Del Mar, CA