RE: Tiger Torque

To: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Subject: RE: Tiger Torque
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:26:30 -0500 (CDT)
Frank wrote:

>Is there anyone out there running 3:31s who think they are acceptable?

Hey Frank, how ya' doin?

With my 3.31's, I'm running about 3,000 rpm (which is where I usually
run it) at about 52 mph, and about 3200-3300 at 60.  Hard to say for
sure 'cause my speedo doesn't work and who knows if the tach is
accurate.  To me, it just seems like a whole bunch of needless revving
on the freeway.  At 3500 to 3700, I can just stay with the traffic (in
the slow lane), but it sure sounds like it's screamin'!   This gearing
would be perfect if all I drove were twisting back roads and mountains.

I think a whole lot has to do with individual people and what they're
comfortable hearing from the engine.  I used to have a Sprite and
complained about its' gearing too (some people are just never satisfied
:)).  Others had told me that they were comfortable running their
Sprite at 5,000 rpm all day on the freeway because it was a little
under redline and that shouldn't hurt anything.  I guess I look at it
in terms of engine wear - slower turning engines just last longer (and
use less fuel).

Now that I have that half-Alpine trailer to tow around, I should
probably only drive 55 anyway.

Take care,
Don