Re: Tiger Torque

To: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger Torque
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:30:45 +0100

Alvin and Lucille Johnson wrote:

   Don Daves wrote:

   > Frank wrote:
   >
   > >Is there anyone out there running 3:31s who think they are acceptable?
   >
   > Hey Frank, how ya' doin?
   >
   > With my 3.31's, I'm running about 3,000 rpm (which is where I usually
   > run it) at about 52 mph, and about 3200-3300 at 60.  Hard to say for
   > sure 'cause my speedo doesn't work and who knows if the tach is
   > accurate.  To me, it just seems like a whole bunch of needless revving
   > on the freeway.  At 3500 to 3700, I can just stay with the traffic (in
   > the slow lane), but it sure sounds like it's screamin'!

   News Flash----Don's tach doesn't work.
   Al J.

Don,

 If you've got 185/70x13's you'll get about 21 mph/1000 rpm in top.  That would
be about 3,000 rpm at 63 mph. If your running the little
stock tires, you might consider using the larger 185/70's.  A little
modification would probably be required on the inside lip of the rear
fender wheel well lip where it bends in to the wheel well.  Taking the outer
sheet metal down to match the inner panel lip, for about 30 degrees on each side
of TDC,would prevent the lip from hitting the sidewall in a bump.  The front,
depending on your wheels, might need a spacer.  I have a 1/4 inch spacer plate
with wheels that have a 1/4 inch negative offset (American Racing 8 spoke). One
cancels out the other. 0 offset, or positive offset , or wider than 4.5 inch
rims might cure this.  The PO bent the lower lip of the front fender in a
little.  Not noticeable, and gives lots of room for full lock turns.

On the other hand, you are using the 3.31's to allow lower gearing in the first
three.  You'll get this, but pay for it in high.  As I was
recommending, the wide ratio gears will give you very good ratios in the lower
gears, and still have the stock 1:1 in high (i.e., no difference
from stock).

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >