Re: Tiger Torque

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger Torque
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:33:07 -0500 (CDT)
Steve Laifman wrote:
>Don,
>
> If you've got 185/70x13's you'll get about 21 mph. . . <snip>

Steve, thanks for your comments.  That's a lot of information and I'm
sure you spent a lot of time on it.  Much appreciated.  You got me
thinking why I was relying on my tach instead of going out and do the
math myself - so I did.

I'm running 7 inch Panasports on the rears with the Yoko A-008Rs - size
205/60x14's.  I just measured their diameter to between 23.25 and 23.5
inches (hard to be exact with a tape measure).  A few minutes with MS
Excel, this isn't rocket science after all (no pun intended!), and I
come up with 2871 rpm at 60 with the 23.25 diameter and 2841 rpm using
the 23.5 diameter.  At 63 mph, averaging both dimensions together, and
I'm at the 3,000 rpm you quoted for the 185/70x13.

Those numbers actually seem kind of reasonable to me now.  If my tach
is that far off, I need to do some calibrating.  If my tach is
accurate, and I'm truly running 3500 rpm to stay with traffic in the
slow lane, that's 74 mph and you people need to slow down out there!!

And I agree with your other comment about keeping the 2.88 gears (with
posi) and run a wide-ratio top loader.  That's what should have been
done from the beginning.  The only reason I have this setup is due to
the efforts of the previous owner.  The rear axle was newly installed
when I came along, but the trans growls in the first 3 gears and needs
work soon.  Throwing a 5 speed in seemed the way to go.

Don Daves