Re: Potporri

To: FrizBMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Potporri
From: jay peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:04:08 +0000
> 1) Is there anything unique to the 260 that makes it different from a 302 or
> 289 in re-assembly that is not covered in a common how-to rebuild book (such
> as Chilton or hayes) and would be a problem later?
> 2) With everything in this state is there something I could do (other than
> camming) that would make the beastie perform better-say like early 302 heads
> or somesuch that would offer good "bang for the buck" and is readily
> available?
> Thanks for your time.
> Trying to turn a problem into an opportunity.
> Tony
Tony,
One thing to watch if you use later model heads is the water jacket
holes between the heads and the block as they can vary, specifically the
middle upper ones closest to the carb. If you put the gasket on the
block and the head, they may appear to line up, but the gasket has extra
holes cut into it for different applications. There are special gaskets
with butterfly cutouts in them for use on late model heads w/an early
block, or you can redrill the block or heads. If you fail to get the
holes lined up you will experience overheating anywhere between 10 and
25 minutes after startup depending on ambient temp evem though the water
temp shows fine. Don't ask me how I know this, but suffice it to say I
have some extra holes in my heads and no longer have those "spare" head
gaskets for that emergency.
Jay Peterson