RE: carb

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: carb
From: Jim Parent <jparent@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
 Dan,

I've heard that before (Tigers become more of a problem when the
engine is
modified for performance.).  What I don't understand is that when my
modified Tiger is cruising at 60 next to your stock Tiger, we are both
generating the same horsepower (i.e. heat).  It's only when I stand on
it and motor away from you that I turn up the heat.  Why then, should
I have cooling problems during normal (sane) crusing?

I agree with your statement about small block fords running better at
the 200 degree level.( Keep in mind that according to Ford testing as
quoted by a number of people on this list, the Ford small block runs
more efficiently with less wear at a temperature range of 190-215
degrees

I have a Raytek PM Plus non-contact IR temperature sensor. My radiaotr
has a definite temperate drop across it and the input temp is within 5
or 6 degrees of the gauge reading.  But, depending where I point it I
can detect 300 plus degrees on the ouside of the block.  Has anyone
used an oil temp gauge and determine the delta between water and oil
temps?

( Best thing to do to check the "real" temp of your motor
is to
get it up to heat, then take it to one of your more hi-tech radiator
shops.
They have a "gun" they can point a various spots of the motor to get and
extremely accurate reading on the temp of the mill and the radiator.)

It also seems to me that even with a couple of psi from the
pump/radiator back pressure that the cap should let you get well above
212 before it pukes.  When that happens I suppose that there is more
steam in the "closed" system and therefore the cooling effect is
lessened and the beast overheats even more.

How about sending my what you have Dan?

Regards,

Jim Parent
B9470139