Re: Insurance?

To: "JAN HARDE" <harde@cyberesc.net>, "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance?
From: Dave McDermott <dave.mcdermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:36:30 -0600
        Jan and all,

        One of the problems I found a few years back with the classic car
insurers advertising in Hemmings involved the no fault medical we have here
in Colorado. The coverage amounts of the classic car companies were far
below the statutory amounts. Therefore if you had a medical claim above
their coverage and below the Colorado statutory amount then there could be a
real hassle on who was responsible. Your regular medical insurance would not
pay because they are only responsible for amounts above the statute. Your
classic car insurer would not want to pay because it was above the maximum
under the policy and the premiums paid. Legally the classic car company
would probably be responsible because they sold the policy to someone in
Colorado under the laws of that state but you would probably have to go
through a lot of hassle to prove all that. Have others found recently that
the classic car companies adjust their rates to compensate for the different
no fault provisions in different states? I am guessing that many states have
no fault medical car insurance laws like Colorado.
        I checked at the time with State Farm and they really were not
interested in selling a policy that covered only the difference between the
no fault level and the classic car insurers level. I suspect that even if
they did that the total of that policy plus the classic car policy would
offset any savings.

        Dave McDermott
        B9470035 and others