Re: Weight, or lack thereof

To: DrMayf@aol.com, alcon@earthlink.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weight, or lack thereof
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 09:58:15 -0800
Mayf, Allan,

I believe you guys should collect your observations into an article suitable
for publication in the Lancet. It would follow nicely on the heels of this
article that appeared recently. Here is a synopsis that I copied from their
on-line journal:

Suicide rates fall with exhaust fumes
In the 1960's, the removal of the poisonous gas carbon monoxide from domestic
gas was believed to have led to a sustained fall in suicide rates in the U.K.
So too has the introduction of catalytic converters in cars according to a
research paper published in The Lancet.
Since December 31, 1992, all new petrol cars sold in the U.K. have had to have
catalytic converters fitted to comply with a European directive on exhaust
emissions. The devices, which are attached to the exhaust pipes of cars,
convert carbon monoxide fumes in semi-combusted exhaust gasses to less
poisonous carbon dioxide.
In the past, people have committed suicide by inhaling the exhaust fumes of
their cars. In recent years however, a number of people have survived long
exposures to exhaust gasses during such suicide attempts due to a reduction of
carbon monoxide in their cars’ exhaust gasses from 3.5 to 0.5% by catalytic
converters. Does this act as a deterrent to suicide? An overall reduction in
the number of suicides in England and Wales since 1992 is thought to be
attributable in part to the introduction of catalytic converters.
Unfortunately, while the number of suicides involving poisonings with gasses
other than those in domestic use has also fallen in Scotland since 1992, the
overall suicide rate has gone up.
See: Catalytic converters and prevention of suicides, R.E. Kendell

Review by: K. Geiringer

Obviously, this article raises a lot more questions than it answers. In fact,
I'm not sure it answers any questions. (Was there even a question?) I find
myself wondering things like; if the Scotts aren't committing suicide by
inhaling exhaust, perhaps they are just driving their cars off cliffs instead?
And are the English and Welsh to dumb to figure out an alternative method of
suicide? Most of all, I'm wondering if this is the type of research society
has
invested years of higher education considerable research money to support?

Oh, BTW, I thought checking your muffler bearings meant seeing if it was still
pointed the right direction, and important item for low slung cars driving
over
speed bumps.

Enjoying the first rain of the season in S.D.

Bob

At 09:38 AM 11/8/98 -0500, DrMayf@aol.com wrote:
>Yes! There is direct statistical inference to smell, ripped driver's seat and
>muffler bearings! I have been postulating this for a very long time and it is
>wonderful to see someone else begin to see the relationship. The important
>factors are of course, beer (micro brewed from old potato peels), chili (made
>from armadillo road kill), and loose muffler bearings. Ripped seats are the
>dependent variable here, however. I have been told, but yet to verify, that
>Levi 505's help to prevent the ripped seat syndrome...

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com