Frame/Front Crossmember

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame/Front Crossmember
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:07:00 -0500
Have just removed my front cross member/suspension  from the car. What I
have found rasises some questions.

Should the aluminum/zinc stepped spacer pad rivetted to the top of the
cross member be the same both sides ?

Is it proper to have extra spacers positioned above the spacer pad to
increase the distance between frame and cross member ?  If so, what
maximum thickness of additional spacers is appropriate and/or safe ?
Seems to me that this attempts to make up for sagging springs...at what
point should sagging springs be replaced ?

Word of warning for anyone trying this for the first time with a
complete car. Remove the radiator first (10 - 15 minutes). I followed
the Tiger workshop manual on removing the cross member, and the place I
found the first reference to this procedure did not mention removing the
radiator....as a consequence, when I had trouble getting the steering
pinion out of the lower clamp (rusted in), the wiggling around I did
with the rack managed to put a hole in the lower right corner of the
rad. After I removed the rad, I had much more room to remove that pesky
pinion anyway. Later in the evening I revisited the workshop manual, and
found the same procedure somewhere else, this time with a first step of
removing the rad !!

John Slade
Manotick, ON