Re: tach questions

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tach questions
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:00:11 -0800
Jim,

We will probably need some more info in order to diagnose this problem. Is
everything else "stock" except for replacing the mechanical points with the
Pertronics solid-state unit? The waveform may be a bit different than
original with the Pertronics, or perhaps the current is different if you
have added a Capacitive Discharge like the MSD or other such device. You
might try adding another loop or two around the inductive pickup post on
the back of the tachometer and see if this helps. I am discounting that
this problem really relates to acceleration, rather than just rapidly
changing rpms. If it really has something to do with acceleration, then
perhaps its a loose wire or mechanical problem inside the tach.

Hope this helps,

Bob

At 08:10 PM 3/1/99 -0600, James E. Pickard wrote:
>I talked with Margaret Lucas @ MoMa today, and boy am I confused.  My
>tach works fine at idle and under normal use.  But under hard
>acceleration (when you really need it) the needle swings wildly around
>(maybe a 1000 rpm swing).  The car has done this for the year and a half
>I've owned it, and I thought it was normal.  After talking to Margaret,
>I get the impression this isn't normal.  Furthermore, she thinks her
>tach won't work with my Pertronics ignition.  Can anybody shed some
>light on this for me?  All I want is a smooth running accurate tach
>that looks nearly like the original.  If it reads to 8000, great.  I
>like the Pertronics and want to keep it.
>
>Jim Pickard
>B9473298

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com