Re: inquiry 031199c

To: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 031199c
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:34:50 -0500
At 09:19 AM 3/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>       I just heard from Eastwood Restoration; they no longer carry
>undercoating that is applied with a brush instead of by spray; gee, I
>thought those guys never discontinued anything. Any ideas on where I
>could turn for this product? No, I do _not_ want to spray on the
>undercoating.
>
>Lawrence R. Wright
>Purchasing Analyst
>Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
>lrw@aop.com
>Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

Larry,
        I have a simple solution that works well and it is
brush on.  Simply go to the nearest home store/lumber yard
and get a 5 gallon bucket of roofing cement.  The black
stuff.  Take a good sized glob and put into a disposable
container that can hold at least twice as much as the glob.
Add gasoline, low grade is ok, and mix into the glob until
there is a creamy mixture.  Paint it on with a disposable
paint brush.  I swear it is exactly the like the black
undercoating that is used by professional undercoaters.
It will dry to a tacky surface in about a week.  Recommend
a good fan ventilation and no flames while you
paint the stuff on.  Probably could use paint thinner in
place of the gasoline, but you still have to take care
with solvent in any case.  Most places have 5 gallon buckets
of roofing cement for less than $20.  Enought to do dozens
of tigers.  One coating lasts a good 10 years on the botton
of my Tiger.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others