Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply

To: comorgan@juno.com, jamesbrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:00:29 -0600
>  I moved the frame and fenderwells to allow plenty of
>space around the headers and spark plugs.  The 351C 4 barrel
>headers are a lot bigger than the 260/302 headers.  I of course
>had to build them my self.  The tubes are 1 5/8".  Even at that
>I had to streach the tubes to mate with the exhaust ports.
>The tubes are arranged as a flat-4 at the collector, similar
>to NASCAR setup to allow more ground clearance.

You're headers sound nice.  Most 4V headers are 1 7/8"
and still have a little taper to fit the huge port.  If you look
at the port, much of it is wasted space.  The 2V port, despite
being smaller, moves as much air and at a higher speed.
Most 2V headers are 1 3/4".

>I have a fairly high intake, a 650 double pumper and a 3"
>tall filter mounted in the original air cleaner.

Which intake are you running?  I bet you can run a larger
carb and pickup some hp without driveability problems.
I run a 735 Holley on the 351C-2V Aussie in the Pantera
and a 750 Edelbrock on the 351C-4V in the '66 Mustang.

Dan Jones