Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302

To: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:12:20 -0500
At 09:40 AM 3/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
>What sort of cam are you running?  I have a 735 Holley
>(same throttle plate size as a 780 but with higher gain
>but more restrictive primary boosters) off a 428 CJ
>on the Pantera and pull 20 mpg on the highway, without
>vacuum advance.  An idea what size your PVCR's are?
>A lot of Holleys have huge PVCR's - on the order of the
>size of the jets, doubling fuel flow.  If you're at stoich at
>cruise, you'll need something on the order of 25% more
>fuel for best power, not 100%.  Other things to do to save
>fuel are back off on the accelerator pump and power valve
>trip point.
>
>Dan Jones
        The cam is a Crane 524421 HIT-280-2-NC
280 duration on intake, 288 on exhaust. Intake lift .506
Ex lift .519. Recommended for 2500 to 5500 Rpm.  I also
have Harland Sharp roller rockers and the Crane Hi-Intensity
lifters ( the leaky ones that make noise).  The power valve
is what ever came stock in the Holly 650 double pumper.
I am also running flat topped pistons to be able to run
on the crappy 93 octane gass in Florida.
Previously I had the Ford SVO cam in the 351C and I
believe it provided more power than the Crane, however,
after 15,000 miles it wiped a cam lobe and lifter.  That
really pissed me off and I didn't go back to Ford.  Ford
guarentees their SVO parts until you walk out the door.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others