Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302

To: jamesbrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:40:27 -0600
>       I have the Edelbrock for the 4 barrel Cleveland
>heads.  Their ports are considerably smaller than the intake
>ports.  ( They claim this gives more low end tork).  The
>original cast iron intake had runners that matched the
>head intake port.  In the light weight Tiger I don't
>think it makes much difference.  The problem is the
>weight of the cast iron intake.  It is very heavy.

That would be the Performer 4V or F-351 4V (same
manifold).  I have one on the the 351C in the '66
Mustang for the same reasons as you - weight savings
and hood clearance.  The stock Ford intake is pretty
decent so the Edelbrock doesn't buy much in the way
of performance.  The other Edelbrock intake is the
Torker 351, a single plane high rise.  It doesn't have
that good of a reputation among the Pantera crowd.
Gives up a lot of bottom end for not much more top
end.  The best low end torque and fuel economy intake
seems to be the Offy Dual Port with split upper and
lower ports but it dies on the upper end.  The Blue
Thunder high rise dual plane seems to be the best all
around intake.  Only the single plane Holley Strip
Dominator provides more upper end hp.  The Strip
Dominator is well regarded for high power work.
The best top end and still driveable on the low end.

I run a Weiand Xcelerator single plane on the Pantera.
I use the 2V version since I'm running Aussie heads
(quench chambers with 2V ports) and have found it
to be surprisingly strong on the lower end.

>        As far as the 650 instead of a 750 carb,
>I got the smaller carb to attempt to get reasonable
>gas milage while commuting to work ( all in town).
>With the 650 I still have more power than I have
>guts to use.  I also leaned the main jets a bit
>to attempt to help milage. This hurts power more than
>the carb CFM.  I get 13 in town and 15 on the road.

What sort of cam are you running?  I have a 735 Holley
(same throttle plate size as a 780 but with higher gain
but more restrictive primary boosters) off a 428 CJ
on the Pantera and pull 20 mpg on the highway, without
vacuum advance.  An idea what size your PVCR's are?
A lot of Holleys have huge PVCR's - on the order of the
size of the jets, doubling fuel flow.  If you're at stoich at
cruise, you'll need something on the order of 25% more
fuel for best power, not 100%.  Other things to do to save
fuel are back off on the accelerator pump and power valve
trip point.

Dan Jones