Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply

To: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Subject: Re: 351C installation & compare with 347 Stroker 302 -Reply
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:26:26 -0500
At 05:00 PM 3/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>I have a fairly high intake, a 650 double pumper and a 3"
>>tall filter mounted in the original air cleaner.
>
>Which intake are you running?  I bet you can run a larger
>carb and pickup some hp without driveability problems.
>I run a 735 Holley on the 351C-2V Aussie in the Pantera
>and a 750 Edelbrock on the 351C-4V in the '66 Mustang.
>
>Dan Jones
       I have the Edelbrock for the 4 barrel Cleveland
heads.  Their ports are considerably smaller than the intake
ports.  ( They claim this gives more low end tork).  The
original cast iron intake had runners that matched the
head intake port.  In the light weight Tiger I don't
think it makes much difference.  The problem is the
weight of the cast iron intake.  It is very heavy.
        As far as the 650 instead of a 750 carb,
I got the smaller carb to attempt to get reasonable
gas milage while commuting to work ( all in town).
With the 650 I still have more power than I have
guts to use.  I also leaned the main jets a bit
to attempt to help milage. This hurts power more than
the carb CFM.  I get 13 in town and 15 on the road.
I previously had a Boss 302 in the Tiger with the stock
780 double pumper and jets.  It got 9 mpg on the road.
I previously had a 650 holly with vacuum secondaries
and it got 13 to 14 in town, but I was always having
problems with that Holly. I believe there was a tiny
speck of sand in the metering block that every so often
would clog up a passage.  Tried all kinds of things to
get it out with no luck.
        The May 99 Popular Hot Rodding has a feature
story on a stroker 302/342 build up.  They are also
giving it away.  Be nice to see it in a Tiger.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others