Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers

To: "Schotland" <gary@schotland.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 23:08:29 -0700
Gary,

In the first place I figure it's probably worth the money to have your
engine balanced, so even if it's nominally balanced for a 260, I'd guess
they can still use it. However, if the balancer is pretty old, you might be
running some risk of it coming apart on you, so it would be safer to buy a
new one; and better yet, a HiPo unit.

Bob

At 01:19 AM 5/30/99 -0400, Schotland wrote:
>Is the 260 harmonic balancer interchangable with one from a 5 bolt
>289 (1963 vintage)?
>
>I have a shop rebuilding a 289 that I yanked apart 6 years ago.  The
>harmonic balancer was missing, so I sent them one from a 260 I
>had laying around.  There's been one delay after another with them,
>so I'm not sure if they're just jerking me around because they need
>an excuse to delay things for another week or because there's an
>actual difference.
>
>Thanks for any insight.
>
>Gary

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com