Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers

To: gary@schotland.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 07:56:24 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/99 1:19:59 am, gary@schotland.com writes:

>Is the 260 harmonic balancer interchangable with one from a 5 bolt
>289 (1963 vintage)?
>
>I have a shop rebuilding a 289 that I yanked apart 6 years ago.  The
>harmonic balancer was missing, so I sent them one from a 260 I
>had laying around.  There's been one delay after another with them,
>so I'm not sure if they're just jerking me around because they need
>an excuse to delay things for another week or because there's an
>actual difference.
>
>Thanks for any insight.

Well Gary
 I only just recently purchased a book from barnesandnoble.com that I saw in
my library  and had xeroxed the pages of interest.I am building a 302 for my
Tiger,and the question of harmonic balancers also arose.I wanted one that
would be able to accept the three mounting bolts for my crankshaft
pulley.That is a really rare animal as it was only used for the first two
years of production,1969 and mid 1970.
The shop building my motor explained why they did not want to use a 260/289
balancer on a 302.I wound up buying the SVO replacement balancer that had
both bolt patterns and was very expensive.
Now to the answer to your question
  260 and 289 balancer nos have different partnos 260-(C40E-6316-A)ALSO THE
SAME PN FOR A 221 and the 289 units useC5AE-6316-B, C4AE-6316
CorD,C5AZ-6316-B. The 221 and 260 AND  289 all have the same stroke and share
the same basic balancer(the second place in the part no sequence refers to
the specific year the part was made,the first place refers to the DECADE  the
part was made. just because the part no is different doesnt mean that the
PART IS DIFFERENT.)
 Now about the 289 hipo.This IS  a different balancer altogether.Why? The
true 289 hipo had a thin add-on counter balance  added to the front of the
crank,behind the timing chain,the  harmonic balancer is thicker and has a
different part no(C5OZ-6316-C) BECAUSE IT REALLY IS DIFFERENT.
So no you really SHOULD NOT  use the hipo balancer unless you use the counter
weight.
By the way the name of the book High Performance FORD Engine parts
interchange,it is written by George Reid,published by Cartech,and its ISBN is
1-884089-33-X.
It is a truly outstanding piece of writing that covers both small and big
block engines.The only fault I have caught  is that it doesnt mention the
little business about the add on weight for the 289 hipo.
Well I hope that helps
 Tony