Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:46:06 EDT
Tony,
You wrote:
Now about the 289 hipo.This IS  a different balancer altogether.Why? The
true 289 hipo had a thin add-on counter balance  added to the front of the
crank,behind the timing chain,the  harmonic balancer is thicker and has a
different part no(C5OZ-6316-C) BECAUSE IT REALLY IS DIFFERENT.
So no you really SHOULD NOT  use the hipo balancer unless you use the counter
weight.

You cannot use a double roller chain if you use the hypo counterweight.  My
machinist plugged my hypo damper with extra weight (to make up for it), and I
use both the hypo damper and a double roller chain.
Jim Leach,      Seattle