Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 260/289 Harmonic Balancers
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:50:07 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/99 4:57:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, FrizBMG@aol.com
writes:

> So no you really SHOULD NOT  use the hipo balancer unless you use the
counter

>  weight.

A 289 Hipo engine "as built" had heavy duty rods with 3/8 inch bolts, and a
crankshaft made of high nodularity iron.  Proper engine balance required a
thick, heavy crankshaft damper, and in addition, a small steel counterweight
which was attached to the lower timing chain sprocket with a roll pin.  To
compensate for the thickness of the counterweight, the width of the timing
chain was reduced from 1/2 inch to 13/32 inch.  Hardly a high performance
part!

OEM Ford timing chains are well know for their propensity to wear and
stretch.  When building up a new engine, it is common and desirable to
install a quality double roller chain, such as a Cloyes.  On a Hipo motor,
this necessitates eliminating the steel counterweight, but that's no big
deal.  Your balancing technician should simply add some weight to the Hipo
damper as necessary to bring everything into balance.  The result is a
properly balanced engine with a strong timing chain that is much more durable
than a Ford unit.

BTW, I have a collection of unused steel counterweights.  If someone among
you insists on running one (and the narrow chain?) drop me a line.

Dick Barker