Re: Pulley Hooey

To: TSmit@novatel.ca (Theo Smit), tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulley Hooey
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:53:50 EDT
Theo and Listers,

The crankshaft and water pump pulleys for the Tiger were made specially for
Rootes by the Industrial Division of Ford Motor Company.  There are Rootes
part numbers for these items, but as far as I know, no Ford numbers.  And I
don't think anyone has ever been able to identify an interchangeable Ford
pulley used in any other application. The generator bracket, R.H. exhaust
manifold, and fan are some of the other parts also made specifically for the
Tiger by the Ford Industrial Division.  In other words, these parts are made
from unobtainium.

The purpose of many of these special parts was to set the fan, and therefore
the belt line, back to clear the radiator and the steering rack.  Ford even
reversed the fan mounting flange on the water pump so it could be pressed
farther back on the pump shaft.  That is why the flat side of the flange is
to the rear on a Tiger, with the large projection to the front.  This, in
turn required a large center hole in the fan (to fit over the projection),
whereas a standard Ford fan has a small centerline hole which fits the water
pump shaft.

It was not clear to me Theo, whether you are running a generator or an
alternator.  Which ever it is, you would have to have the proper Rootes/Ford
mounting bracket to properly align your fan belt if you have the correct
Rootes/Ford pulleys.  Since you seem to have concluded that you do NOT have
the correct pulleys, it sounds to me like you probably also have the
incorrect bracket, i.e., a Ford unit of some standard flavor.  Finding the
proper bracket for a generator shouldn't really be too hard, as many Tiger
owners have converted to alternators, so frequently the old generator
brackets are still lying around.  There have been many brackets for
alternator conversions made over the years, some good, some not so good.  If
this is what you are looking for, make sure the one you choose is very solid
so that you do not have a problem with vibration and movement.

Keep us posted!

Dick Barker