Re: Tigers VS Corvettes Sounds

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tigers VS Corvettes Sounds
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:11:35 -0700
Actually, it should be Chevy V8 versus Ford V8 sounds.  Did you ever notice
that the growl of a tuned Ford V8 has a very distinctive sound as does the
Chevy V8?  And this same general sound runs through the history of the
cars?  A Mustang, Tiger, Cobra or others from the 60's to the 00's all have
that same growl with a certain burble to it.  While a Corvette, Camero or
other Chevy V8, also from the 60's to the 00's all have the same vroom,
which is more of a grrrr, will less of that Ford burble or growl, but yet
its own distinctive sound.  Even a hot Suburban or Explorer (yes, there are
some in our neighborhood) carry their makers' sound.

Any thoughts on the cause?  Combustion chambers?  Exhaust manifolds?  I
have always wondered if it is or was intentional.  Or, if it was simply a
difference in design that has stuck over the years.

Now of course I don't think you'll find a person on this list that favors
the Chevy V8 sound.

Jay