Re: Tigers VS Corvettes Sounds

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Tigers VS Corvettes Sounds
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 17:52:51 -0700
Steve, et Listers,

The timing order change on the 351W/C/M and 400's, as well as on more
recent roller cam 5.0L engines is another one of those interesting
mysteries of Ford engineering. Again, I ask, why did they do that? I have
even considered putting a 351W cam in my 289 just in case there was some
kind of advantage. However, there really isn't much difference in these two
firing orders; one is just the mirror image of the other. Just make #1 = #4
and #5 = #8, etc., and you see the two firing orders are the same. Harder
still to believe making this small change could affect the exhaust sound.

Bob

At 02:47 PM 8/6/99 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:

>My Ford Motorsport Catalog says that the 289/302's were 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8,
>while the 351W/C/M and 400's were 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.  These, of course, do not
>change the identification of which cylinder is where.
>
>So, I guess it all depends upon which Ford you are listening too, EH?
>
>Steve
>

>--
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
>B9472289              < important in your life    >
>                       < and don't let it get away!>

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)