Re: cold air

To: Doug & Rett Leithauser <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: cold air
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:08:27 -0700
Doug & Rett Leithauser wrote:

> <snip> I have been noticing the last couple days, we have had a
> bit of a cold  snap here & my Tiger loves it. It runs a lot more powerfully
> after warmup than what it does on those hot summer days, <snip>  Has anyone
>out
> there tried a cold air
> induction setup, mabey similar to an early 80's Mustang GT, with cold air to
> the air cleaner form those horn openings that we're supposed to block off to
> get the air through the radiator?

Little room for large ducts.

> <snip> I sure would like to figure
> out how I can make it run strong all the time, without butchering the hood.
> Happy Motoring
> Doug Leithauser

Doug,

Cold air is denser, and richer in oxygen, hence the increase in power.  The LAT
hood scoop does direct outside air to the air cleaner. An even better solution
would be to revise the air cleaner to mate with the hood and scoop such that the
scoop only feeds the carb, and there is no other path for air.  This may
require a
special lower box that conforms to the hood shape, and is sealed to it with a
thick foam tape seal.  Making this air cleaner from a low thermal conducting
fiberglass, and even insulating the 'outside' to keep under hood heat out, would
help too.  American "Muscle Cars", with 'shaker hoods, did this kind of thing by
cutting a hole in the hood and making the scoop a part of the air cleaner.  Kind
of messy.

Of course, this is no longer in the 'Stock" class.  {9->

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/