RE: fluids

To: "'Parfitt, Bill @ PDX'" <BParfitt@GlacierNW.com>,
Subject: RE: fluids
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:51:35 -0600
Hi Bill,

You've probably stirred up something nearly religious here. I'm sure
everyone has their favorite brands of lubricants and greases, and all of
them are very effective - probably far more so than anything available
thirty years ago. I would say that you really can't go wrong by using any
of the major brands' oil and gear fluids - Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol,
etc. Use the recommended viscosities for the trans and rear end. I would
give the synthetics a try if you can afford it. They work a lot better at
temperature extremes, both hot and cold. Be aware, though, that some old
seals may start weeping if you use synthetic oil.

One thing about the brake system: Unless you're sure that the entire system
has been rebuilt with non-Girling rubber parts, you pretty much have to use
Lucas / Castrol / Girling LMA type fluid, or DOT 5 Silicone fluid, because
anything else will dissolve the seals in the system. Silicone fluid has the
advantage that it's non-hygroscopic, which means your brake calipers etc.
will corrode less, but it retains trapped air very well and becomes
compressible at high temperatures, making it unsuitable for racing or other
extended aggressive driving use.

You might consider using silicone fluid in the clutch system, to take
advantage of the non-corrosive properties, and using regular LMA in the
brake system.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
B382002705