4-spd overdrive

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: 4-spd overdrive
From: CE25593@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:42:38 EST
After enjoying the list for the past year I am now seeking assistance with
the Mk1a I'm slowly rebuilding.  Since this will be a daily driver, I wish to
install an overdirve transmission.  Having failed in my search for the fabled
AMC tailshaft, I am considering an alternate approach.  The Sept., 1980 Hot
Rod magazine has an article that talks about installing the Ford overdrive
gearset from a '77-'78 transmission into the early Ford toploader gearbox.
This provides a 1:1 3rd gear and either a .8:1 or .7:1 4th gear.

Have any of you had any success with this conversion?  I spoke with Stick
Only and they say the Tiger mainshaft was not a standard Ford part and, as
such, would not permit the gears to be interchanged.  I thought the Tiger
toploader was a stock Ford item.

Your constructive comments are appreciated.  Thank you.

Bob, San Diego
B382000793