Re: 4-spd overdrive

To: CE25593@aol.com
Subject: Re: 4-spd overdrive
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:30:22 +0000
CE25593@aol.com wrote:

> The Sept., 1980 Hot
> Rod magazine has an article that talks about installing the Ford overdrive
> gearset from a '77-'78 transmission into the early Ford toploader gearbox.
> This provides a 1:1 3rd gear and either a .8:1 or .7:1 4th gear.

If this is the reputed "SROD", I'd stay away from it as I've been told by
owner's
that it is totally unsuited for a performance vehicle.

>  I spoke with Stick Only and they say the Tiger mainshaft was not a standard
> Ford part and, as
> such, would not permit the gears to be interchanged.  I thought the Tiger
> toploader was a stock Ford item.
>
> Your constructive comments are appreciated.  Thank you.
>
> Bob, San Diego
> B382000793

Bob,

The Tiger mainshaft IS a 'stock' Ford part, but it, and the tail shaft housing
are
from early Fairlanes and Tigers.  There are Tiger 4 spd boxes available.  Once
in
a while, even a Mk II.

As I recall, and I am sure to be corrected if not, the tail shaft housing on a
Tiger makes the transmission 25 1/2 inches long, about an inch longer than the
Mustang (maybe it's 24 1/2).  Anyway, they are different, and you need the right
one.  The internal parts, however, are exactly the same as any Ford Toploader of
it's input shaft diameter (and that's all but the Big Blocks).

In my opinion, the BEST option would be to get an 8 hole housing (later style
that
fits either a 5 bolt or a 6 bolt bell housing and engine and was stock on the
Tiger Mk II), and the Ford/Tiger longer mainshaft and tail shaft housing.   This
can be assembled with the Mk II style 'wide ratio' gear set with new bearings,
seals, layshaft center and blockers which are widely available.  An early front
bearing retainer is needed for a 5 bolt installation, and the slightly larger
retainer is needed for a 6 bolt. Only trick is to get the correct speedo drive
gear that is in the tranny. They were different between Mk I/IA and Mk II, as
was
the speedometer and cable gear.  Again, stock  stuff, but must be selected
properly.

This transmission, with the wide ratio gear set, and a 2.88:1 stock rear end,
gives you good cruising in high with about  3,000 rpm at 72 mph using the
185/70 x
13 tires (or equivalent diameter).  The major difference is in the lower gears.
So many people go to high rear end ratio's to get off the mark better.  The REAL
problem is that the stock first gear ratio is ridiculous, even on a Mustang.
Who
needs a 60 mph first gear?

With the wide ratio gear set you will get plenty of low end acceleration in all
the lower gears, much better driving than stock, and still get good cruise. The
top loader is substantially stronger than the current 5 spd. overdrives and a
0.63
ratio fifth is really for gas mileage, not performance.

After I changed, the car was completely different.  Parts are available, and the
only unique feature of the gearbox was the mainshaft and tailstock length.
These
can be available from early Fords.

My opinion, and experience.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/