RE: inquiry 060900d

To: "'Laifman@flash.net'" <Laifman@flash.net>
Subject: RE: inquiry 060900d
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:38:07 -0500
-----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Laifman
> I presume the "Overdrive Switch" is for your Alpine, or did
> you do something with your Tiger?

        Sorry. The Alpine went to the scrapyard nine years ago, less any
salvageable parts. This'll be for the Garage Queen. The SV Alpine did not
have O/D, so I don't have a "surplus to requirements" switch. At one point I
had a 1" long "momentary" switch installed in the right-side "plug" on the
column to operate the stock horns, but it was tough to get to. Somewhere, in
some box, I still have the horns and the short switch; won't be reinstalling
them.

> Anyway, Jay has the Alpine overdrive (Laycock) and the switch.
> If you recall, the stock position of the Turn signal was on
> the right side of the steering wheel. Nearly everybody
> switches over to the left side, as per American practice.

        My T/S lever was on the left when I got it, but probably would have
moved it there anyhow. I guess, with the O/D on the left, you could operate
the O/D and the shifter at the same time, get to half-step shifts?

> The Overdrive switch was on the left side, and looks like the
> turn signal switch, externally.
> Another turn signal switch is available with a headlight
> "horn", but I'd probably use a relay for the actual power
> switching.

        I'm thinking that if I ever get one of those, I'd like to rig that
for headlight flashing. Also, if I'm a bit hamfisted with the T/S lever, I'd
rather not be setting off the horn accidentally.

        On another subject: I cannot hear the T/S flasher at all, and have a
couple of times left the signal on (ick). Is there a plug-in flasher that's
louder? And would it let out all the Lucas smoke if I used it? Just a louder
'beep' would be fine, not a J C Junk unit that plays "Dixie". :^)

        Larry Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"