Re: Crappy Sunbeam Parts Dealer

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crappy Sunbeam Parts Dealer
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:43:37 -0500
Chuck:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Jim Leach regarding your problem
that you outlined in your post.  Whereas I do sympathize with you concerning
the delay in getting your parts, it is sometimes to be expected when dealing
with cars such as Sunbeams.  Believe me, we've all been right where you
currently are and, admittedly, probably felt like busting someone's ass over
it.  However, at the risk of sounding like I'm making light of your
situation (which I can assure you that I'm not), this too shall pass.  This
is all just part of restoring one of these magnificent machines.

I've been a Sunbeam owner since 1979 and have had many dealings with all of
the major Sunbeam parts suppliers at one time or another.  I must say that I
have found Curt to be a stand-up kind of guy.  He has helped me out of a jam
on several ocassions and I was grateful for it.  I, too, went through a
Tiger about ten years ago that needed some rust repair (not my current
Tiger...) and I purchased all of the necessary body panels from Curt.  I
seem to remember that there was a bit of a delay on getting some of the
panels but, as I understand it, if Curt had trouble getting them, then
practically every other supplier would be in the same boat.  When the panels
did arrive, however, they were good quality pieces and were worth the wait.

All I can say is that, even though you are upset about it now since you are
being held up on you restoration project, this is probably just the first in
a long line of delays that you'll have to deal with.  Fortunately, we do
have several really good parts suppliers out there for our cars and, in my
humble opinion, Curt is one of them.  I would seriously recommend that you
guys try to "patch it up" if possible because he very well could be of
considerable assistance to you during your project.

By the way, Chuck, tell us a little about your car and what you plan on
doing with it.  Is it a Mk1, 1A or a II?  Are you doing it for show or as a
driver, or maybe some vintage racing?  I don't know where you are located in
Texas, but I'm not too far up the road from you in the OKC area.  If you
ever see that you are coming through here, let me know.  We could possibly
get together and swap some Tiger stories!

Take care and good luck with your Tiger,
Andy Walker
B382001600