Re: Droning Mufflers

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Subject: Re: Droning Mufflers
From: twojohnsons@home.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:40:00 -0400
Mustangs w/aftermarket performance mufflers suffer from drone at 1800 to
2000 rpms that is absolutely maddening. I have dynomax straight thrus & an
X-pipe & have to speed at 70+ or poke along at 55 to avoid the "drone zone"
which, with 355 gears comes at 60-65 mph in 5th in my Mustang. Very loud
doo-wop can counteract to some extent.
The drone is supposed to be a result of substituting same size dual
aftermarket mufflers & a 21/2" system for the factory's two different size
mufflers & 21/4 size system.
As to Flowmasters, I have never seen them on a daily driver where the owner
is old enuf to shave every day. Loudest of all, and with their internal
baffle design, they rob horsepower & torque.