Re: Droning mufflers

To: "The Charltons" <charlton@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Droning mufflers
From: johnc@nait.ab.ca
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:23:44 -0600
Hi:
Years ago I took a Volvo 123 to an "Exhaust Tuner" and he used the same
system with a small resonator very close to the back of the car. He had a
formula for placing the muffler a certain distance from the engine
depending on the engine size. That car had such a sweet sound I used to be
followed home by guys that wanted to know what kind of an engine I had in
the Volvo. I sure wish he was still around to work his magic on the TIGER.
I too wonder if anyone has ever managed to squeeze an X crossover under a
TIGER.
Godspeed
Jc

My Tiger had a similar drone (2" system w/ turbo mufflers) from about
2800-3200 rpm or so, ie: 55-65 mph in top gear w/ 3.07:1 axle ratio.  I
went
to a muffler shop and they found some very small resonators the guy had
been
saving for some future hot rod installation.  These things were about 12"
long, if that, and were spliced in about a foot from the tips.  I don't
know
which way the "fingers" are pointing.  Result?
Drone is pretty much gone, without losing much full-throttle sound.  Much
more satisfactory.
(SNIP)