RE: Droning Mufflers

To: <twojohnsons@home.com>, "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Subject: RE: Droning Mufflers
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:49:23 -0700
Listers,

Here are a couple of links that are part of a very comprehensive study of
muffler performance for several mufflers of the four basic designs. As
stated, the "straight-through" types are the best flowing, and not
necessarily louder than the "tri-flow", "reverse flow" or "turbo" types, of
which the Flowmasters are one example. BTW, these type of mufflers do not
have internal "baffles". The very best straight through design is the
stainless steel Genie "Tornado", with a flow rate of about 360 cfm and about
a 90 dB noise level. The corresponding Genie "Turbo" tested at 252 cfm and
88 dB.

        http://www.autospeed.com/members/A_0384/P_1/article.html

        http://www.autospeed.com/A_0383/P_2/article.html

The "X" pipe, or crossover, will quiet the exhaust some and also improve
flow. In the past I have also added straight-through glass packs, but with
the direction reversed so the little protruding fingers are pointing with
the flow instead of against it, to quiet the resonance problem. BTW, my
Tiger has FlowMasters and is a daily driver. With 2.88 gears, it resonates
at about 2400 rpm @ about 60 mph in fourth gear, but I don't often drive
that speed. But you are definitely right about one thing - I haven't shaved
for twenty years. ;-)

Bob