Re: Droning mufflers

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Droning mufflers
From: "The Charltons" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:34:03 -0500
My Tiger had a similar drone (2" system w/ turbo mufflers) from about
2800-3200 rpm or so, ie: 55-65 mph in top gear w/ 3.07:1 axle ratio.  I went
to a muffler shop and they found some very small resonators the guy had been
saving for some future hot rod installation.  These things were about 12"
long, if that, and were spliced in about a foot from the tips.  I don't know
which way the "fingers" are pointing.  Result?
Drone is pretty much gone, without losing much full-throttle sound.  Much
more satisfactory.

I find it curious to see that you have an X-pipe and still are having this
problem.  I had read recently that this (a preferred variation to the
H-pipe) was effective in creating both more power and less objectionable
noise on a test car.  Perhaps the key is the differing size stock mufflers
in this particular case.  Are there any Tiger owners with differing size
mufflers on each side?  Anybody with an X-pipe on a Tiger?  If so, howzabout
a picture?  I'm planning a future system to include headers and a crossover
pipe, either H or X, and find I really want a quieter system, if possible.
Mostly  because I'm getting older and find my ears are pretty sensitive to
this, but also, being in a noisy profession, I want to save what's left as
long as I can!

Anybody remember the Triumph TR3's exhaust drone?  It comes on at a certain
narrow rpm band (2800?) and really bellows.  I used to try to keep the rpm
right on the sweet (?) spot when going under overpasses.  Yeow!  Replacing
the stock system with a Monza SS system didn't make a bit of difference.
Duncan

twojohnsons wrote:
>Mustangs w/aftermarket performance mufflers suffer from drone at 1800 to
2000 rpms that is absolutely maddening. I have dynomax straight thrus & an
X-pipe & have to speed at 70+ or poke along at 55 to avoid the "drone zone"
which, with 355 gears comes at 60-65 mph in 5th in my Mustang. Very loud
doo-wop can counteract to some extent.
The drone is supposed to be a result of substituting same size dual
aftermarket mufflers & a 21/2" system for the factory's two different size
mufflers & 21/4 size system.
As to Flowmasters, I have never seen them on a daily driver where the owner
is old enuf to shave every day. Loudest of all, and with their internal
baffle design, they rob horsepower & torque.