RE: Clutch Help

To: "Clifford A. Costa" <csquared@idsi.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Help
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:10:20 -0700
Cliff,

There really is no "slave cylinder lash adjustment". While you can adjust
the length of the rod that goes between the slave cylinder piston and the
clutch arm, this has no effect on lash unless it is too long to the point of
bottoming out the piston, or at the other extreme, the piston falls out of
the cylinder when you push the clutch pedal to the floor.

As far as diagnosing the root problem, I would have someone work the clutch
pedal while you watch what is happening down below. When the pedal is full
up (not pushed on) there should be just a little bit of free play of the
clutch arm. You can check this by pushing on the arm. As the pedal is
depressed, the slave piston should immediately start moving the arm. I can't
tell you precisely how far it should go, but I would estimate the better
part of one inch of total travel if the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If
this seems to be the case and you are still having trouble disengaging the
clutch, then the real problem is the clutch per se, not the hydraulic
system.

As far as rebuilding your cylinders, sleeving is always a good idea,
especially the slave cylinder. It gets a lot of heat from the exhaust,
especially if you have headers. I made a sheet metal heat shield for mine
that seems to help a lot. If you simply hone the cylinders, go very easy.
The best is just to clean them up with Scotch Brite. A good job leaves them
with a shiny polished surface.

I hope this helps some.

Bob