Re: Clutch Help

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Help
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:18:38 EDT
Bob,
    When I ran a three-finger type clutch in my Tiger and my other
Rootesmobiles, the lash was very important as it determined the height of the
clutch pedal vs the stroke available for disengaging.  If there is zero lash,
the throwout bearing is constantly in contact (under a slight load) with the
pressure plate and this causes premature failure of the bearing: it the lash
is too loose, the clutch pedal is proportionally closer to the floor, and the
travel of the slave/clutch arm is reduced.
Fortunately, I have scrapped all of the old fashioned clutches and I have a
diaphragm (clutch) in every car.  They are "self-adjusting" as in none to be
had.  (I can't wait for the comebacks!!)
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle