RE: Oil Filter Quality

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Quality
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:01:23 -0700
Tom,

Thanks for the interesting anecdote that does support the choice of the
Motorcraft filter, which according to Knize is the Purolator Pure One filter
in a Purolator Premium Plus case. I tend to feel that in normal use, and
assuming you change oil every 3-6k miles, there really isn't any need for a
filter. If, under some unusual circumstance, bad stuff that shouldn't be
there does get in the oil, then the filter is there to try and keep if from
damaging your engine. On the other hand, for a Caterpiller bulldozer working
hard in a very dusty environment, I can believe that good filtering is
important. Maybe some day when I have nothing pressing on my agenda I will
cut open a used filter I have taken off my Tiger and see what I find inside.
My expectation is I won't be anything captured in the filter because I
always change the oil before it gets noticeably dirty. And even the "dirt"
that's there is probably carbon so fine that it wouldn't get trapped in the
filter anyway. I confess that I may be just over-reacting to the Franz
filter advocates who think they can keep the same oil in an engine for
50-100k miles simply because it looks clean. OK, so an oil change even
assuming you use synthetic oil might cost you $30-40. As much as most of use
drive our Tigers, that's probably no more than twice a year. Am I really
going to go against every oil expert's advice just to save maybe $60-80 a
year by not having to change oil? I think not.

Bob