RE: Oil Filter Quality

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Quality
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:19:10 -0700
Bob Wrote: "I tend to feel that in normal use, and assuming you change oil
every 3-6k miles, there really isn't any need for a filter."
 Bob as others have already replied the findings on the magnetic drain plug
would give me cause to use a filter. Also as I have seen oil pressure drop
as a filter gets older it indicates to me that it's capturing something.
  Amongst my "stable" I also have a 1963 Rambler American 2dr. HT (might I
add a rare one year model for that roofline as justification for ownership
of such a wild ride). This does not have a full flow filter, but rather a
small line that feeds off the the main oil galley. The function is similar
to the Frantz, but it is the only filter, filtering some of the oil some of
the time. I have pulled the pan on this.... well, powerplant might be an
over statement and found the bearing and crank wear to be excessive. At $160
for the four main bearings alone the Rambler is not really the economy car
it was intended to be. Pehaps Fram isn't the best filter, but they my have
the best advice, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later." As Al J. said
in a recent post :
"but isn't it oil breakdown & dilution that we can't see that "wears" it
out? Isn't that the real enemy of effective engine lubrication?"
 It would factor in that  particle contamination is justification for the
filter and additive (not the oil itself wearing out) depletion is
justification for changing to oil. Tom Witt B9470101