Re: Tiger vs Morgan +8

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger vs Morgan +8
From: "Rich Atherton" <aka.gumby@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:44:49 -0700
I apologize for the blank reply..  hit the button too fast..

I must agree with the numbers below... cast aluminum vs. cast Iron...We
Don't need Mr. Layfman's Rocket Science to see the obvious here..  Let alone
the fact that when I was in high school and purchased a 63 Buick 215
complete engine with out a tranny or bellhousing. I carried it complete with
iron exhaust manifolds on my shoulder in to my auto shop class, and set it
down on my bench.  Granted I was a burly kid at 6'4 and 280 lbs...There's no
way I could have carried a 260-302 that way.   By the way, the 215's 4sp
bellhousing only weighs about 6-10lbs.. it's very light, and Aluminum..  I
always wanted to use the Muncie M21 aluminum gear box for the ALL ALUMINUM
drive train..  In 63 the 4bbl version of the Buick 215 with 10:1 compression
was rated at 200 horse power in block stock form..  Wasn't the 260 rated at
160? and the 289 at 175?    In other words......It would have been a great
Tiger Engine.  just my opinion..With the weight reduction they may not have
had to do the fire wall mods they did.....Who knows..   It's still something
I want to do someday.  once I get another Alpine, and win the lotto...  It's
interesting too, that by the time the Tiger was being seriously considered,
British Leyland owned the 215, and all of it's tooling.  They bought the
whole thing from GM.  and that same basic engine with some updates, and
larger displacement is still being produced today for the Morgan +8, and
Range Rover.  I love to Dream...

Rich