Out the Top

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Out the Top
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:54:53 -0500
It's been a long time since I posted to the list, the Tiger has not been
real healthy & as my secondary car it was not the first priority after I
moved last year. But now that I'm settled in, the time has come to repair
those mechanical ailments, so last weekend the engine came out of the Tiger,
possibly for the first time.
    I read a post a while back  indicating it was not all that difficult to
pull the engine out the top, so I had to give it a try. I was a professional
mechanic for 25 years & have pulled a lot of engines. This was a pretty easy
removal, without having to jump through flaming hoops to get the motor out.
A lot of newer run of the mill cars are more difficult. The hood, radiator,
cowl braces, headers, water pump, generator, carb & oil filter & hoses were
removed. The engine to trans bolts (mine is a 5 bolt) were removed with a
swivel socket on an extension. A jack under the trans & a cherry picker
attached to the engine & it came out pretty easily, without excess banging
around in the engine compartment.
    I can see some advantage dropping out the bottom if a restoration is
under way, but to remove the engine only for service I would not be afraid
of going out the top. It might be easier to remove the engine for clutch
replacement than to remove the trans, I did that a long time ago & I don't
recall it being a fun project.

Doug Leithauser