Re: Out the Top

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Out the Top
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:13:32 -0500
Steve,
        For the folks who have welded their front cross member in:
I always pull motor and transmission fron the top.  I use a simple
Come-Along that is 20" long when fully closed.  I mount it to a
Bar that is 89" from the floor.  A chain is bolted to the left front
and rear right of the heads.  Never had a problem and I have
had motor/transmission in and out over to times.  As the Come Along
can not move much forward and backward, I simply roll the Tiger
forward or back as needed as I lift the assembly.

At 09:54 AM 12/12/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>
>Good to hear from you again. Glad you have had some experience in
>removing engines. But not, apparently, with a Tiger.
>
>If you read the book (Manual) you will notice the engine and tranny are
>pulled as a unit. When you are hoisting the engine, you must continually
>adjust the angle of the assemble so the tail shaft clears the fire wall.
>It is almost vertical when this happens. The height of that stack
>requires a garage with a hoist 18 feet off the ground, and maybe a
>grease pit as well.
>
>It is not all that difficult to remove the tranny alone, but it is very
>heavy, and a transmission jack is recommended (unless you are have a
>football team and a grease pit helping you.)
>
>The idea of dropping them both out the bottom, removing the front axle
>beam, and lifting the body to clear sliding is out, was NOT dreamed up
>because it was difficult, but because the "Factory" way is only valid in
>a real Factory style environment.
>
>Ask around before your hung up with suspended loads and no where to go.
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman
>Editor