Re: Welding ... kinda long but I got carried away

To: Pirouette@uisreno.com, Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com, wittsend@jps.net
Subject: Re: Welding ... kinda long but I got carried away
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:35:54 EST
In a message dated 1/3/02 5:18:12 AM, Pirouette@uisreno.com writes:

<< This is functionally the same as Tim's method, heat is absorbed by the
melting blobs, which then provide support on cooling as you move further, but
it's very fast.  I don't even bother putting the visor down for the blobs
part, just look away each time since the  gun is braced on the metal, and I
usually stop briefly after completing the blob ring to let things cool, just
to be antiwarp safe.  But after a little practice (very little, this really is
a fast learning curve), if you don't bother to wait, you can do a hole start
to finish in 20-30 sec. !!  And it will look good and be clean solid and
almost flat metal. >>

Wow, I really appreciate both Chris and Tim sharing their experience.  In
welding stuff on my Tiger and various ther projects, fixing holes was
defintiely a needed skill.  In addition I would add I  sometimes cut little
circular disks of scrap metal and welded them in to serve as backing for the
holes.  Chris' tip about not using the mask was interesting.

Rob